Robot Automation Systems Essential for Business Success
When we think about Robot Automation Systems will agree when we say:
“There has been a significant development in manufacturing due to the continued improvement of Industrial Robots and higher demand for artificial intelligent products in manufacturing floor plans.”
The answer is, Yes. As a result of this statement, manufacturers are dramatically increasing cost savings and improving operational efficiencies by incorporating Robotic Automation into their factories, that in turn can free workers from dirty or dangerous tasks.
Over the past 30 years, Industrial Automation has been [ reducing 100% of Manufacturing Expenses into Cost Savings ] and that’s not all – mid-size and smaller companies are benefiting from Industrial robot automation for the first time, and larger companies are able to improve their existing products.
Industrial robot arm
Therefore, if you are loooking for industrial robot to integrate to your automated systems, there a several key factors that you need to know, let’s discuss them:
Industrial robot arm or Axis Robots came in any size and payloads suitable for any robot application from complete robotic welding system to simple welding cell, just to mention one of the robot applications.
In today’s article, we are going to answer three important questions that company need to know when start with robotic automation.
1. The crucial elements that are involved in Robotic Automation and its integration?
2. Why is it beneficial to choose a Top Robotic Integrator?
3. Understanding of Industrial Control Systems in Robotic Automated task?
Crucial Elements for Robotic Systems Integration
Industrial Robot Arms need to be integrated with other machines or equipment to perform the task on the factory floor. For example:
- Robotic Welding Integration will require that the end of the industrial arm be equipped with a weld gun.
- Robot Palletising (Material Handling Operation) will include a gripper at the end of the robot arm.
But, most Robotic Integration companies will provide input through the entire project lifecycle and will aid in engineering, system integration, and manufacturing in collaboration with the larger team focusing on business solutions.
System Integrator Solutions
Foremost, integration companies will always start with planning because planning is vital to understand the customer’s needs and what kind of technology will fulfill all their requirements. However, there are many components to consider when choosing a Robotic System, so depending on which equipment can fit into the manufacturing floor plan.
Most importantly, the automation system could provide a complete integration solution in larger areas or just control specific pipeline processes in smaller ones.
Let’s have a look at two slightly different Robotic Automation Systems
In picture 1.1, we can see a Basic Robot Automation systems, but these components may vary depending on the robot application or task that the industrial robot will perform and the company’s needs.
In picture 1.2, we have a Robot Cell Design Integrated Structure with an Industrial Control Panel, but these components also may vary depending on the application or task that the industrial robot will perform and the company’s needs, for example of Robot Palletising Cell.
Basic robot equipment installation
- Industrial robot
- End arm tooling
- The controller
- Safety equipment
- Robot cell or guarding
However, depending on your requirements you may need some others equipment as Industrial Control Panel and conveyor
Why is it beneficial to choose a Top Robot Integrator?
It can be difficult to decide which Robotic Integration Company to choose and which Robotic system integrator to work with. Our suggestion is to search for a robot integrator that understands your specific needs and who can utilise real cases studies.
An important necessity when communicating with your potential integration company is whether they respond quickly to your queries. In other words, do they contact you promptly after you have contacted them?
A good robot integrator will work with any robot manufacturer, and will likely be a [ KUKA robotic integrator, an ABB robot integrator, or a FANUC robot integrator ].
TOP main reasons to choose a good robotic integration company
- Expertise with Industrial Robots
- Will help you to choose the best systems to suit your needs
- Provide the best return on investment
- Provide real Case Studies
- Will understand that time is valuable for their customers
Good integrator will help the manufacturer to understand which of their processes are wasteful and which are value-added for the operation. Therefore, some robot integrator will only focus on a specific robot application and may not always have experience with all applications.
Some of the most popular applications are:
- Robot welding systems
- Milling robot
- Robot palletising
- Material Handling
- Pick and Place
- Trimming Robot
- Cutting Robot
By understanding the implications of robotic equipment is vital for producing an industrial robot system that –no matter the scenario– improves the production pipeline in efficiency and effectiveness.
It is recommended, when choosing a company, you consider the top robotic integration companies for your robot installation. Once contracted, the integration company will provide you with a Robot Cell Design.
Some robot cell designs are simple, whereas others may include elements of the Industrial Control Systems such as a Control panel, an industrial electrical design & installation, and programming, as can be seen in figure 1.1 and 1.2 above.
Industrial Control System Role in Automation
According to Wikipedia Industrial control system (ICS) is a general term that include several types of control systems and associated to a device or group of devices used for industrial process control.
Such systems can range from a few modular panel-mounted controllers to large interconnected and interactive distributed control systems with many thousands of field connections. Moreover, all systems receive data from remote sensors and derive command functions which control a process through the final control elements (FCEs), such as control valves.
Following, we will explain in details main components involve in automation.
9+ Main Components for Automation Systems
There is no clear understanding on the role of the industrial control systems in robotic control systems. Hence, we will provide a summary and description of the main roles of the control systems. Likewise, we would guide you through the Robot Automation Systems.
Industrial Control Panel main role
- An Industrial Control Panel for robotics consists of control or power sources as circuits, sensors, actuators, and a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC).
- These panels act as user interface to control the robots and collect data for continuous improvement of the production systems.
- The control panel design begins with preparing the schematics to meet regulation and safety requirements.
- A Robot Operator can monitor and control the industrial robot arm using Human Machine Interface (HMI) panels that will be connected to the PLC.
- The schematics of the Electrical control panels need to be prepared according to the needs of the customers.
What role Human Machine Interface (HMI) and Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) play in automation?
- The HMI uses special software that enables engineers to program controls and monitor the complete operations. By using the HMI Screen not only the robotic arm is monitor but also other components such as valve states, pressure, and temperatures.
- This software also allows the programmer to design the layout of the operator monitor and what is shown on the screen, as well as which buttons can be pushed to power equipment on and off, and what the operator can manipulate on the industrial robot or any other machine.
- The programmer must link each indicator and button to specific output or input in the PLC.
- The HMI and PLC will need to be compatible, meaning that they will need to talk to each other. For instance, they do this by using a protocol such as Modbus, Ethernet/IP or Profibus. These are industrial Networks, and the Protocol will connect the PLC, HMI, Industrial Robot and other machines.
- Once the PLC and HMI are connected, it will be possible to monitor and control any PLC functions. In others words, they will work together to monitor and control the robotic systems.
What SCADA means and why is important?
Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, or distributed control systems (DCS), and programmable logic controllers (PLCs) are the larger systems to control industrial process, though SCADA and PLC systems are scalable down to small systems with few control loops. In conclusion, the SCADA system controls can perform completely all kinds of industrial automation process.
Some example of industries that are implementing large control systems in their industrial process, example: water treatment plant, chemical processing, pulp and paper manufacture, power generation, oil and gas processing and telecommunications.
Robotic Companies in the UK
Most robot integration companies in the UK understand the importance of the Control Systems in robot operations. Most importantly, they will will ensure that outsourcing companies will comply with the company requirements.
In Addition, a reliable UK Robot Automation companies will suggest the best options on the market in terms of reliability and quality of the products. So, they will provide the best layout or robot design in the floor plant.
Step by step Robot Installation Layout
For better understanding, the following layout is a simple installation of robot automation systems when implementing robot arm in any application.
In today’s world, manufacturers are always looking for new technologies to take their production to the next level. That is to say, robotic manufacturing is an emerging sector and there many reasons to incorporate robots into your production process.
It is evident by this post, there are many things to consider while implementing robots into a manufacturing pipeline. Above all, the right time to install a robot, cost savings, return on investment and Robot Integrator skills are only a few of the things needing deliberation prior to integration.
A good robot integrator must fulfill all these elements essential for the success of a robot integration project.
Industrial robot costs have reduced drastically in the recent years. Hence, this helps encourage small and medium-sized businesses to consider this technology and prepare their employees to become robotics experts in Robot Automation Systems.
The best part? You can be one of them.